Discover that organisms have different jobs in the ecosystem. During a forest hike, students will classify plants and animals by their ecosystem roles and discover the interactions between them.
- Organisms in an ecosystem depend on each other.
- Producers, consumers, and decomposers are the roles that organisms have in an ecosystem.
Pre and Post Field Experience Resources
(pdf files) :
- Pre and Post trip lessons correlated to TEKS objectives (including Cross-curricular activities)
- Glossary of terms to prepare students for the Guided Field Experience
- Bibliography of suggested readings
- CHAPERONES: You MUST bring one adult for every 10 students to ensure safety and to help supervise your students. The program is designed for your students, please ask parents to leave younger siblings at home. Chaperones over the 1:10 requirement are charged $6/person.
- DRESS: Students will be more comfortable if they dress for the out of doors. Students and adults should wear closed-toe shoes for safety. No sandals please.
- LUNCH: If you are doing a full day program, students may eat lunch on our building apron. (No picnic facilities available.)
- RAINY DAYS: The Arboretum does not cancel in case of rain. We will provide ponchos to students. In the case of severe weather, we will offer an alternate indoor program.
- CANCELLATIONS: Program fees are non-refundable. Changes to enrollment after confirmation letter has been sent will result in a $25 processing fee.
- PAYMENT: Is due in full upon confirmation of your date. Accepted forms of payment are organizational check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. All checks must be made payable to: Houston Arboretum & Nature Center.
Schedule a full day for up to 140 students from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Schedule your students for Field Adventures for a FULL Day of Hands-on Science!
Students participate in both the Guided Field Experience and Discovery Room Program.
Fee: $8 per student.
Scheduling for 2012-2013 is now open.
TO SCHEDULE: Print/Download the Reservation Request Form (pdf) and send by fax (713) 682-2539 or mail to:
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
Houston, TX 77024