Water Quality Monitoring
Please note that there are no openings for Spring of 2013. Schedule for Fall 2013 below.
“The content of the field experience is excellent and will help the students on the STAAR test. Very hands-on; keeps all students actively engaged” – Teacher comments
|Class size:||Minimum 10 students/Maximum 40 students|
|Description:||Middle or High School students participate in a survey of natural aquatic habitats. Students perform basic water testing procedures and aquatic animal and plant surveys. Participants learn the importance of wetlands and identify their local watershed.|
|Tour Times:||9:30 – 11:30, Tuesday – Friday|
|Fee:||$10 per student|
- Water sheds
- Wetlands and their uses
- Chemical, biological, and physical measurements
- Threats to wetlands
- pH testing and dissolved oxygen testing
- CHAPERONES: You MUST bring one adult for every 10 students to ensure safety and to help supervise your students. The program is designed for your students; please ask parents to leave younger siblings at home. Chaperones over the 1:10 requirement are charged $6/person.
- DRESS: Students will be more comfortable if they dress for the out-of-doors. Students and adults should wear closed-toe shoes for safety. No sandals please.
- LUNCH:If you are doing a full day program, students may eat lunch on our building apron. (No picnic facilities available.) Please bring lunches separated by class in large bags or bins.
- BUS PARKING:Buses should drop children off first and then park in Satellite Parking ¼ mile east of our entrance. Click here for a map.
- RAINY DAYS: The Arboretum does not cancel in case of rain. We will provide ponchos to students. In the case of severe weather, we will offer an alternate indoor program.
- CANCELLATIONS: Program fees are non-refundable. Changes to enrollment after confirmation letter has been sent will result in a $25 processing fee.
- PAYMENT: Is due in full upon confirmation of your date. Accepted forms of payment are organizational check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. All checks must be made payable to: Houston Arboretum & Nature Center.
- REGISTRATION QUESTIONS? Email: email@example.com
- PROGRAM QUESTIONS? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduling for 2012-2013 is now open.
TO SCHEDULE: Print/Download the Reservation Request Form(pdf) and send by fax (713) 682-2539 or mail to:
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
Houston, TX 77024